Wednesday, February 06, 2013

A Few More Things

1. I never gave a report on my eye surgery last November.  (Oh, for consistent blogging. . .) Praise the Lord!  The surgery was successful and all my follow-up appointments have shown good scar tissue and no new areas of concern.  The doctor ended up sealing up most of the sides in both of my eyes, which was a little spooky, but also good that she caught all the little potential problems.  The other great thing is that our insurance covered most of it!!  Whew.  Thankful on all counts.

2. In December, right before Christmas, my Grandpa Roub (dad's dad) slipped on some ice and broke his hip.  After a successful surgery, he experienced complications that unexpectedly led to his death.  I was able to go to Minnesota to be with everyone for his funeral, for which I was, and am, so very grateful.  These are the things that can make Costa Rica feel really far away.  My grandpa was a wonderful man.  A word several people used to describe him was steady.  He was a steady example of a follower of Christ, of a husband, father, grandpa, friend.  I know he is having a marvellous time in heaven, and am thankful for the hope I have of seeing him again, but for now I miss him.

The 3rd Generation (minus Jeff) at Grandpa's funeral

3. At the beginning of January our 2nd-ever semester program with Fresno Pacific University kicked off.  This spring we are hosting 14 enthusiastic young men and women in our program.  They are living with host families, studying Spanish, and taking courses with us on culture and incarnational ministry.  They will also travel to Nicaragua for a week this month.  We love semester programs for their life-impacting potential, and the chance to mentor students on a longer-term basis.
FPU semester students + some SI staff 


The BEACH!!!
4. Recently, my parents visited with us for about 10 days.  We got to take advantage of a wedding near the beach and an excursion with our semester students from FPU to do some 'touristy' things with them.  It was fun, and I'm pretty sure they were tired out from playing with Olivia, Sawyer and Lynnea by the end!
At the Basilica in Cartago

Grandpa's "surprise" birthday party, planned by Olivia
At the house we rented near Playa Negra

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I’m sorry to hear about your grandpa. I’m sure he lived his life to the fullest, as evidenced by his friends’ testimonies on how good of a person he is. I’m sure he was also proud of you for bravely undergoing an eye surgery. May I ask how long did the surgery last?

Cami Hood