Saturday, June 11, 2011

English Class

I know it was probably a crazy idea, but I agreed to it anyway. And, I am REALLY glad I did, because I'm enjoying it very much! A few weeks ago we started an English class for the ladies of the micro-finance site, that is led by Cindy and Maria. The ladies heard Maria speaking in English awhile back and started insisting that she teach them! With their businesses, English would be a helpful skill, especially for those who plan to sell things to tourists. Maria and Cindy were already swamped with their 3 little groups and all those details, so they asked me if I'd be interested in helping them out. I thought about it, prayed about it, and said yes. We agreed to do 10 classes on Friday mornings. The ladies pay a nominal fee for the class to cover supplies, and we do it in the office. It's a 2 hour class, with cafecito (coffee time) included. Maria, Cindy and the teams help with the class and help watch Lynnea. I give out homework and we have quizzes. It's the real deal! Some of the ladies have never studied English before, so we are starting at the beginning. The first day we got through 1/4 of the lesson plan. But we'll get there. Like I said, it has been really fun for me to teach again, and to teach motivated learners, too! With a 'role' that is so undefined and random sometimes, and a life schedule that is just as much so, it's been nice to have a small thing to plan for, count on, and do well with! We'll see how these 10 weeks go, but if the ladies want to keep going, I just might want to, too.

From English Class


From English Class


From English Class

1 comment:

Aiyla said...

How fun!!!